It is important for homeowners to do their homework before hiring a roofer. Many contractors will claim that they provide full insurance coverage and have workers’ compensation, but this may not be the case at all. If you hire a contractor without checking these facts first, you could end up with expensive problems on your hands, or even worse. There are five common signs that someone might be an unreliable roofer- take note of them!
5 Ways to Spot an Untrustworthy Roofer
- They ask for money upfront: Some people believe in paying as they go, while others want payment up front so they can buy materials right away. The problem is that if the contractor asks for money upfront there’s no way to guarantee what he’ll do once he has it in his hand – whether he’ll actually start the job or just take the money and run.
- They don’t have insurance: A roofer who doesn’t have insurance is a huge risk – if something goes wrong on the job, you could be left footing the bill. Make sure to always ask for proof of insurance before hiring anyone.
- The quote seems too good to be true: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A contractor who is offering a ridiculously low price compared to everyone else might be trying to scam you – after all, his materials and labor costs are probably still very high.
- They’re not licensed: In most states, it’s illegal for a contractor to work without a license. If your roofer doesn’t have one, it’s probably because he’s not qualified to do the job properly.
- There are complaints about them online: If you do a quick Google search for the contractor’s name and “reviews”, you’ll probably be able to get a good sense of whether or not he has a good reputation. If there are lots of negative reviews or no reviews at all, stay away! This goes for references as well, if nobody can speak for their prior work how are you supposed to trust them?
Spotting an unreliable roofer can save you a lot of money and headaches in the long run. By following these tips, you’ll be sure to find someone who can do the job right – and who won’t take advantage of you.
How to Choose The Right Roofer
When it comes time to choose a roofer, there are a few things you can do to make sure you’re getting the best quality work. First, ask friends and family for recommendations. If they’ve had a good experience with a roofer, they’ll be happy to recommend them to you. Secondly, you can also search online for local roofers like American Home Contractors who have multiple (or in our case thousands) positive reviews. Homeowners have no reason to lie about the work they had done, and if they’re not happy with it they are more than likely to speak their mind through low-star reviews.
Once you’ve narrowed down your options, take the time to meet with each of them and ask questions. A good roofer will be happy to answer all of your questions and explain their process. They should also be willing to provide references from past clients, examples through photos or videos or the work they have completed, and even a testimonial if available.
Finally, be sure to get everything in writing. Ensure that all work you want to be done is listed, the proper materials are selected, and any potential additional prices like extra wood are mentioned. That way, there won’t be any misunderstandings about the work that’s being done and how much it’s going to cost.
Choosing the right roofer is an important decision, and with a little bit of research, you can be sure to find one you can trust!